Four Wedding Planning Myths You Can’t Afford to Believe
I love wedding glossies– I really do! They are filled with great ideas, plenty of wedding porn (aka pictures), bridal fashion and trends. However, they say a lot of things that sometimes, a luxeling like myself, just can’t get with.
So, here I am– ready to debunk a lot of the "stuff" and help you sort through the fluff and poppycock and get to the truth.
And we’ll laugh along the way.
- "You’ll Save More Money By Having Your Wedding During a Holiday Weekend" — Nope! Ain’t gonna happen. You need to prepare yourself for the possibility that you could actually pay more than you had planned. Vendors have higher premiums during event weekends, and while venues can say the same, they can also tack on higher food and beverage minimums. Another big thing– your guests! They will have to pay higher prices for airline tickets, and you will find stricter room block requirements, too. But hey, at least you can use the festive decorations that are already up in your reception venue (isn’t that what the glossies say?)
- You can intimidate your way to a better deal Yup, another loser here. Well, I think that title is a bit misleading. The magazines tell brides "Make sure you tell potential vendors that you intend to shop around or are interviewing other vendors" or "Put vendors on point and let them know that you are ready to play ball"… Let’s review a few of these, shall we?
- "I am interviewing several other XXXX. Why should I choose you over them?" This is not Miss America. You don’t want to hear my stance on war peace or starving children. You don’t want me to give some self-absorbed why I’m great and what I can do for you speech. Instead, let it come naturally. If during the course of any meeting with any wedding vendor you don’t SEE for yourself the benefits of hiring that vendor, then that’s not the vendor for you. And please don’t think that the fact that you told me that you are interviewing another planner will make me a.) lower my prices, b.) throw in freebies, c.) talk bad about the other planner to make me look better. I’m not easily intimidated. And you shouldn’t be either when you hear I’m interviewing other clients for your wedding weekend :) It’s all bout finding the good match with personalities, if we click, we click. No need to play games.
- "What did you do before you were a XXX.." (and other none-of-your-business questions). Hi, I’m Terrica– I’m a Scorpio and I love to take long walks on the beach and candlelight dinners…come on now! This is utter nonsense and rubbish! Quite honestly, anything personal or non-specific to your wedding that your vendor wants you to know s/he will tell you.
- "Is this the best price you can offer? Are your prices negotiable?" There is an old saying that "if you don’t ask, you don’t get". I would like to formally throw in my bid to remix that saying for 2008… "If you ask like a jerk or this is your first question to a vendor, you DEFINITELY won’t get". Brides hate it when vendors look at them and see dollar signs. Guess what, we hate it too. If you want something for nothing, or come into the meeting with a set agenda of talking us down, you won’t enjoy the experience. It’s not shopping for a used car, it’s piecing together the perfect event team to work on the most important day of your life
3. Destination Weddings are easier and cheaper. This is true, and then not so much. Destination Weddings can be a lot of fun, and with proper planning. But you also need someone to corral your guests. Why? Because your guests will think it is a FANTASTIC idea to go to Negril, Jamaica for your wedding. But wait for the deposit time comes around, people become amnesiacs. In order to reap the benefit of a lot of international resort’s wedding perks, you need to guarantee a minimum of 10-20 guest rooms. So my suggestion is not to plan a get away wedding if you aren’t completely comfortable with either going alone (just the two of you) or with 5 other people.
4. DIY EVERYTHING. Honey, put the glue gun DOWN. You will burn out faster than a dollar store candle if you attempt too many DIY projects for your wedding. Find ONE good project that you can make fabuluxe and do it. Otherwise, your wedding will look tacky and shabby. Why? Because you don’t have the facilities or capabilities to make it perfect for 5 projects 120 times.
aletha @ pearls events
LOVE each point you have here. “Put that glue gun down” Classic!
Sara @ Bella Notte
THANK YOU, Terrica! So, true, on all counts.
Kay at Howerton+Wooten Events
Great post! I love it all, but I especially love, “Itâ€™s not shopping for a used car, itâ€™s piecing together the perfect event team to work on the most important day of your life.”
saundra, event engineer
woot! woot! you are the bomb!
Great advice! These are all spot on.
Andria, The Planner
Much love! Especially on the DIY’s! Permission to link…
ISIS OF POSH EVENTS,LLC
Of course I’m laughing hysterical. Love the “put the glue gun down”…step away from the arts & crafts!
Sofia Negron Photography
Love the comments. so true! I am laughing so hard!
I can’t waite for the book! Your on fire, this is as real as it gets!
Stop the wedding porn
Vicky Choy @ Event Accomplished
Thank you for bringing some reality to it all!
You are so funny. But it’s all so true.
Couldn’t have said it better myself
😆 This was a great post….You said sooo many things that I have said to Brides myself! Keep up the great work!!
I use to work in travel and I loooved how everyone thought that they could get last min “specials” and book cheaply over the holidays, only for them to find out “sorry, it’s all booked up!” I booked many many destination weddings (especially to Sandals and Superclubs properties) and multi-Island Hawaii.
The intimidation thing never works. Instant no-click vibe! Well said chicka!!
Well said and so funny!
Brilliant! I’m sure every wedding professional could relate! The part on debunking those questions meant to intimidate planners and vendors was SPOT ON. When clients turn into “tire-kickers” or try to shop my custom invitation services like a used car, I always think of this quote on the Sylvia Weinstock Cakes site “‘There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man’s lawful prey’.â€”John Ruskin” Great post!
Oh my gosh… you are on top of things as usual!!! Very well said!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amen! I was talking to a florist friend and she fired her client because of some of the rudeness mentioned above. Unbelieveable. These publications might do better to say be a pleasant client to work with.
Oh my goodness … you ROCK!! You go girl and those big fun powerful words of yours. They are AWESOME!! Made me start my day off with a good LOL! 😆
LOLOL, I love you Terrica! You always tell it like it is! So awesome to work with you this past weekend again!
i am so glad that we are all having similar experiences! the glue gun is second worse enemy next to the person who thinks finding a wedding planner is like shopping on Priceline!
Pingback: The Lie the Wedding Magazine Told Youâ€¦ | Cocktails & Details: The Wedding Planners' Fabuluxeâ„¢ Blog
very nice publish, i definitely love this website, carry on it
best paint for kitchen cabinets
Hello, extremely fascinating article. My sister and I have been looking to find thorough tips about this type of stuff for a time, yet we could not until now. Do you consider you can create several youtube videos concerning this, I do believe your web blog will be far more thorough if you ever did. In any other case, oh well. I’m going to be checking on this web-site within the forseeable future. Email me to maintain me up to date. granite countertops cleveland
ivermectin 2% http://stromectolabc.com/
stromectol for sale http://stromectolabc.com/
ivermectin 1 cream
Hello there, May I download that snapshot and make use of it on my personal weblog?
https://stromectolis.com/# purchase ivermectin
120842 648884The next time Someone said a weblog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me just as much as this. Come on, man, I know it was my choice to read, but When i thought youd have some thing intriguing to say. All I hear is truly a handful of whining about something you could fix in the event you werent too busy looking for attention. 85685
clomid tablets https://clomiphene1st.com/
clomid order online
cost of clomid https://clomiphene1st.com/